You shower regularly, you eat a healthy diet and you change your underwear daily, but for some reason, you still have a funny stench downstairs.
This can make you feel uncomfortable when your partner wants to perform oral on you, or even when people come close to you.
If you’re struggling with vaginal odor, here are 12 natural remedies that can help you treat vaginal odor.
1. Apple Cider Vinegar
Due to its antibacterial and antiseptic properties, apple cider vinegar can be used to fight vaginal odor. In fact, taking a bath with apple cider vinegar is one of the simplest ways to get rid of the bad odor. This will help fight off the toxins and bacteria that cause vaginal odor. It will also help restore the acidic quality of the vaginal flora.
- Mix two cups of apple cider vinegar in warm bath water. Soak in it for about 20 minutes. Follow this remedy several times a week to get quick results.
You can also drink a glass of water mixed with one or two tablespoons of apple cider vinegar daily.
2. Baking Soda
Baking soda can be used to balance the pH level in your body. When the pH level is in balance, the problem of vaginal odor will dissipate.
- Add one-half cup of baking soda to your bathwater.
- Soak your lower body in it for about 20 minutes.
- Dry yourself thoroughly with a clean towel. This remedy will help fight a yeast infection and can help get rid of odor quickly.
Yogurt is rich in lactobacillus bacteria, which help fight candida infection (one of the most common causes of vaginal odor) and restore the normal vaginal pH level. Once the pH level is balanced, the vaginal odor will be gone.
- Eat two cups of unsweetened, plain yogurt daily. You can also take probiotic supplements.
4. White Vinegar
White vinegar has the power to neutralize odors by breaking down odor proteins. A white vinegar rinse will help eliminate vaginal odor. It will also help restore pH levels in the vagina.
- Mix one-half cup each of white vinegar and salt in lukewarm bath water.
- Soak in it for a few minutes.
- Follow this remedy several times a week.
5. Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree oil contains strong antifungal as well as antiseptic properties, and thus it can be used to get rid of unpleasant vaginal odor. It will help get rid of bacteria that are contributing to the problem.
- Add three drops of tea tree oil to a cup of water. Use this solution to rinse the affected area daily or several times a week.
Garlic is a natural antibiotic that can be great for dealing with vaginal infections as well as vaginal odor. The antifungal properties present in garlic will help fight a yeast infection and help your body get rid of bad bacteria.
- Eat garlic in raw or cooked form on a daily basis. You can eat one or two raw garlic cloves on an empty stomach with a glass of warm water. You can also add garlic cloves or its paste to your dishes and salads.
When consumed on a regular basis, fenugreek helps balance the hormones and promotes regular menstrual cycles.
- Soak one or two teaspoons of fenugreek seeds in one cup of water before going to bed. The next morning, strain out the seeds and drink the water on an empty stomach.
- You can also use fenugreek seeds to make herbal tea. To prepare this tea, boil one teaspoon of fenugreek seeds in a cup of water. Strain and drink it two times a day.
Note: Fenugreek can cause diarrhea and skin irritation. If you experience these effects, discontinue use of this remedy.
Lemons support vaginal health and odor with their acidic nature – they help maintain the vagina’s healthy pH level. Antioxidants in lemons also help protect the cells from free-radical damage.
Lemons works as an immune booster to help your body prevent and fight any kind of infection.
Drink lemon water once or twice daily to help restore the pH balance in your body. To make lemon water, mix the juice of ½ lemon to a glass of warm water and add a little raw honey for taste.
9. Cranberry juice
Cranberry juice is great for improving your vaginal health. It helps balance the vagina’s pH level and its acidic property helps fight bacteria that cause UTIs, vaginal infections and other problems.
To reap the benefits, drink a glass of unsweetened, organic cranberry juice daily. Those who like the tart flavor can even eat a handful of cranberries daily. You can opt to take cranberry tablets, but consult your doctor first.
10. Kale and green vegetables
Kale can not only help you get rid of vaginal odor but it also helps combat vaginal dryness as well as itching and burning. Kale is a rich source of vitamins A and C and helps improve blood circulation. In addition, it gives a boost to your immunity to help keep infections at bay.
Add kale to your salad, vegetable juice or green smoothie. You can also cook it lightly and eat it as a side dish. Other green vegetables that are good for vaginal health include cabbage, celery and collard green.
Rich in phytoestrogens and high in omega-3 fatty acids, flaxseeds also combat many vaginal issues on top of vaginal odor. The phytoestrogens increase estrogen levels, which prevents vaginal dryness and other menopausal symptoms.
In addition, the zinc in these seeds help treat vaginal dryness, itching and burning.
Sprinkle about 1 tablespoon of ground flaxseeds on cereal, smoothies, yogurt, salads and juices. When eating flaxseeds, make sure to drink an ample amount of water for smooth digestion.
Avocado stimulates vaginal health. The healthy fats in avocado support healthy vaginal walls and keep it naturally lubricated. This helps prevent vaginal dryness as well as itching and burning and vaginal odor.
In addition, its vitamin B6 and potassium content support vaginal health.
Make sure to eat avocado in moderation. Just ¼ of an avocado daily is enough to reap its benefits. You can include this creamy fruit in your salad, sandwich or smoothie.